2019 ICFJ Digital Path to Entrepreneurship and Innovation Fellowship for Latin America
Deadline: May 1, 2019.
A Digital Path to Entrepreneurship and Innovation for Latin America is creating a network of journalists, technologists and media entrepreneurs across the region.
In 2019, ICFJ is bringing 36 new Professional Fellows from 12 countries: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and Peru. ICFJ is also sending 12 additional U.S. hosts to Latin America for two-week study tours.
Fellows participate in a six-week U.S. program anchored by four full weeks of professional attachments at the host institutions. The program pairs participants with U.S. hosts across the country at digital communications firms, startup incubators and cutting-edge digital newsrooms that are good matches for the visiting journalists’ backgrounds and skills. The program begins with ICFJ-led orientation in Washington, D.C., where fellows visit digital media organizations, receive hands-on training on digital tools and techniques and workshop their digital media project proposals with media entrepreneurs.
During the final week of the U.S. visit, fellows participate in the Professional Fellows Congress in Washington, D.C. The Congress connects the participants with other Professional Fellows from around the globe while helping them continue to hone their leadership and entrepreneurial skill sets.
This program will also spotlight the United States’ diversity and culture by immersing the fellows in their host communities through homestay experiences.
Only applications from Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and Peru will be considered.
The program is open to young professionals and emerging leaders between the ages of 25 and 40 who meet the following criteria:
- Is a citizen, national or permanent resident of their home country;
- Is living and working in his/her home country at the time of application;
- Has at least two (2) years of professional experience at the time of application;
- Submits a complete application, with all required documents, by the application deadline;
- Is able to begin the Professional Fellows Program in the United States in 2018;
- Is able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa;
- Is committed to returning to his/her home country after completion of the program;
- Is proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application.
1. Selected fellows will have all program costs covered by ICFJ and the Department of State, including travel, housing, and emergency travel insurance.
2. Fellows will also receive a stipend to cover living costs during the program.
3. There are no costs to participate in the program.
4. Selected fellows will spend some time during the program in hotels/apartments and some time during the fellowship with home-stay families in the host organization’s city. Participating in the home-stay experience is required for all selected fellows.