2019 Goi Peace Foundation International Essay Contest for Young People
Deadline: June 15, 2019.
The 五井平和財団 / The Goi Peace Foundation is seeking applications for their 2019 International Essay Contest for youth to harness their energy, creativity and initiative in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development.
This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
This program is an activity within the framework of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2019) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25).
2. Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
3. Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
4. Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
5. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
6. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of Feb. 2019) … 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of Feb. 2019) and gift … 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2019 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2019 on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2019.
* We are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.