2019 German Bundestag International Parliamentary Scholarship Program for the Arab countries
Deadline: January 31, 2019.
In 2019, for the eighth time, the German Bundestag is once again offering a scholarship programme for politically engaged young graduates from the Arab region who are interested in the German parliamentary system and play an active role in promoting core democratic values in their home countries.
During an intensive four-week programme, participants have the opportunity to gain first-hand experience of the German parliamentary system and political decision making processes.The focus is also on events about the German parliamentary system along with presentations, workshops and seminars on topics such as German history and culture, freedom of religion, minority issues, comparison of systems and approaches to experiences of dictatorship and the German culture of remembrance (Nazi dictatorship, SED dictatorship). A workshop on project management aims to support the development of individual project ideas with a view to promoting democracy and civil society in participants’ countries of origin.
- Citizenship of an Arab country
- Under the age of 35 at the start of the scholarship
- University degree
- Very good knowledge of German
- An interest in politics, and social/political commitment
1. Participants will receive a monthly scholarship of 500 euros.
2. The Bundestag will also cover the costs of health, accident and personal liability insurance.
3. In addition, accommodation in an apartment complex (two people sharing) will be provided free of charge, and the costs of travel to and from Berlin covered.
Please send your completed online application documents by email as a PDF-file, with the file name consisting of your surname followed by your given name (i.e. surname-first name), to the German mission in your home country.
Your application should be submitted in German and include the following scanned documents:
- Passport photo (please attach this to the first page of the application form);
- Application form (available online at: www.bundestag.de/ips_arabisch);
- Evidence of very good knowledge of German;
- Personal statement of reasons for applying (maximum of two pages);
- Copy of passport or ID card;
- Certified copy of university degree certificate1;
- Letter of recommendation in German or English (from a university professor or employer, assessing the applicant’s qualification for the programme).
The scholarship programme is aimed at highly-motivated, capable and talented young individuals from the Arab region who are open to new ideas, interested in politics and wish to play an active and responsible role in shaping the democratic future of their country.
Applicants will be invited to attend an interview at a German embassy in the Arab region, where an independent selection panel set up by the German Bundestag will choose the successful candidates based on their professional, social, language and intercultural skills. Some of the costs of travel to the interview will be reimbursed, if it is not possible for this to take place in the applicant’s home country.