2019 DW Akademie Data Journalism Fellowship
Deadline: February 8, 2019.
DW Akademie believes data journalism has great potential to drive transparency and fuel greater accountability and good governance. We consider this to be an important prerequisite for people to make informed decisions and pursue an open social debate. Visualizing digital sources allows for different perception and new perspectives, making the technology a great modern asset to traditional journalism. The fellowship demonstrates DW Akademie’s long-standing commitment to supporting quality journalism around the world.
Dataship is a 12-month fellowship program that brings together 15 of the brightest early-career data journalists from non-OECD countries to foster the development of data-driven reporting. The program combines tailored trainings and networking opportunities, offering selected fellows a unique and exclusive opportunity to learn, exchange ideas and connect with their counterparts around the world to become advocates of data journalism in their own countries.
Applicants should be familiar with the tools of data journalism. In particular, they should:
- Know how to use advanced spreadsheet functionalities such as pivot tables, filters and vertical lookups.
- Know how to use online visualization software such as Datawrapper or Infogram.
- Applicants should have published at least one story using data journalism techniques in a news media.
- Applicants should be residents of a country that is not a member of the OECD.
- Applicants should have a command of English corresponding at least to the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Note that, apart from the application form, participants will not be expected to write in English (unless they choose to write their project in English, of course). However, English will be the language of the trainings and conferences.
- Up to € 2,000 to support your project work.
- Two all-expenses-paid training sessions in May 2019 and January 2020. The trainings are tailored to fit your (and the other fellows’) learning needs.
- All-expenses-paid invitations to two major conferences to present your project work. We connect you with a growing community of data journalists worldwide and ensure continuous exchange of resources, knowledge and best practices.
- Ongoing support from experts (UX designers, D3.js programmers, statisticians, graphic designers, project managers…) throughout the program.
Applications should be made online by filling out this form.