2019 Bassel Khartabil Fellowship for Outstanding People Developing Free Culture in their Communities
Deadline: September 28, 2019.
The Bassel Khartabil Fellowship supports outstanding people developing free culture in their communities.
This unique and life-changing fellowship promotes the values important to Bassel’s work and life: open culture, radical sharing, free knowledge, remix, collaboration, courage, optimism, and humanity.
The fellow is expected to lead projects or initiatives that will catalyze free culture, particularly in societies vulnerable to attacks on freedom of expression and free access to knowledge. Special consideration will be given to applicants operating within closed societies, under adverse circumstances, and in developing economies where other forms of support are scarce.
The Fellowship is open to individuals and small teams worldwide, who:
- Propose a viable new initiative to advance free culture values,
- Demonstrate a history of activism in the Open Source, Open Access, Free Culture or Sharing communities, and
- Are prepared to focus on the fellowship as their primary work.
Successful projects will aim to:
- Meaningfully increase free public access to human knowledge, art, or culture,
- Further the cause of social justice/social change, and
- Develop both a local and global community to support its cause.
They welcome applicants from a wide range of disciplines and practices: If you’re unsure if you fit, please apply.
The fellowship is based on a one-year term, which is eligible for renewal.
- A stipend of $50,000 USD, paid in 10 monthly installments.
- A one-time health insurance supplement for Fellows and their families, ranging from $2,000 for single Fellows to $4,000 for a couple with two or more children.
- An allowance of up to $1,500 towards the purchase of laptop computer, digital cameras, recorders and computer software; fees for continuing studies or other courses, research fees or payments, to the extent such purchases and fees are related to the fellowship.
- Coverage in full for all approved fellowship trips, including domestic and international travel.
- Mentorship, skill development, project promotion, and additional fundraising support from the partner network, including travel to various partner offices or conferences.
Interested applicants should submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bassel Khartabil Fellowship application” in the subject line, OR fill out the application from below:
- A vision statement, which should address the following:
- Your alignment with the eligibility requirements.
- Details regarding your proposed initiative or project, including anticipated impacts, goals, and outcomes.
- Your record of open community contribution and collaboration.
- Biography and curriculum vitae.
- A brief (one page or less) breakdown of your budgetary request, including planned expenses and resource requirements for the year of project development.
- You may also submit additional background materials to document your previous work and successes, including blog posts, video or audio, media coverage, or expressions of support.