2019 African Leadership Centre Publishing and Grant Writing Workshop for Researchers in Eastern Africa
Deadline: May 15, 2019.
The African Leadership Centre, King’s College London (UK), in conjunction with the Hekima Institute of Peace Studies and International Relations are delighted to be collaborating on a projectInterdisciplinary and collaborative research on peace and security: Publishing and grant writing workshop for Early Career Researchers in Eastern Africafunded by the British Academy. The aim of the project is to support ECRs to develop and/or enhance the capacity to prepare successful research grant proposals, write for publication in international journals and carry out collaborative interdisciplinary work. The broader aim is to increase in the uptake of Peace and Security related journal articles written by Early Career Peace and Security Scholars especially women who are based in the Eastern African region.
The Workshop will be a mix of writing principles and strategies on successful dissemination of research findings through international publication; preparing successful research proposals and; undertaking collaborative interdisciplinary research. The sessions will be themed around the fields of peace, security and development which is a rich context for successful interdisciplinary work.
To be considered for this workshop applicants need to be:
- Research and academic staff working across disciplines on issues of peace and security broadly defined; with no more than 10 years post-PhD experience.
- Affiliation to or employed as a researcher at an institution of higher education or Research institution in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and South Sudan.
- Preference given to those with no more than two publications in an international journal.
- Must commit to full attendance across the two days.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
The workshop costs relating to sub-regional travel (i.e. travel to Nairobi) and accommodation for the duration of the workshop will be covered by the project.
To apply please send the following documents to Dr Sarah Njeri, Principal Investigator (Sarah.Njeri@kcl.ac.uk): The deadline for all applications is 15th May 2019.
- A 2-page CV;
- 500-word statement clearly outlining how your research is situated within the multidisciplinary field of Peace and Security studies;
- An outline/idea/abstract for an article you are developing, or a paper previously submitted to a journal and has been rejected.