2019 Africa-China Reporting Project call for application: Audio/visual reporting grants & Investigative reporting grants
Deadline: April 14, 2019.
The Africa-China Reporting Project (the Project) at Wits Journalism and partner China House are inviting journalists to submit proposals for two opportunities: Africa-China audio/visual reporting grants or investigative reporting grants with total budgets of around US$3,000 per grant. See How to apply below and Potential focus areas in the appendix for examples of previous topics.
The Project provides capacity building and facilitation in the form of reporting grants, workshops and other opportunities for journalists to investigate complex dynamics and uncover untold stories. The Project encourages journalists to emphasize on-the-ground impact and perspectives to illustrate how the lives of the people of Africa are changing amid the comprehensive phenomenon of Africa-China interactions (more about the Africa-China Reporting Project).
China House is a social enterprise established in 2014 that sends young people from China to Africa for research and community projects, and that provides research services for international organizations on projects that focus on sustainable development and Chinese investment practices in Africa (more about China House).
The Project is seeking applications from journalists for two different types of reporting grants:
- Audio/visual reporting grants: For audio or video reporting projects by journalists established at media houses and preferably with the necessary equipment readily available, as the grant will likely not be sufficient to cover hiring of equipment and full production costs
- Investigative reporting grants: For print and/or online investigations by journalists working at media houses as well as freelance journalists. Preference will be given to applicants able to include established publishing platforms and the involvement of investigating or other partners in their proposals
Please address an email with the heading APPLICATION: AUDIO-VISUAL REPORTING GRANT or APPLICATION: INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING GRANT and containing the following items (in attachments in MS Word or PDF formats) to ACRPapplications@gmail.com by no later than 14 April:
- Applicant CV, and list of previous Africa-China reporting and/or previous investigative or audio/visual journalism reporting
- Proposal for story to be investigated, with a clear proposed headline at the start and a brief report of WHAT will be investigated and HOW, including a detailed methodology for how and where the investigation will be undertaken
- Audio/visual reporting proposals should include a draft production storyboard to support the methodology
- An indication of where the investigation will be published or aired, and which partners if any will be used or required and how this will expand the investigation
- A detailed budget with specific line items totalling as much as US$3,000
For any further questions please contact the Project team at ACRPcontact@gmail.com.