2023 World Food Programme Innovation Challenge (USD 100,000 in Equity-free funding)
Deadline: July 19, 2023.
WFP launched the latest WFP Innovation Challenge in search of game-changing innovations that offer relief, foster resilience and end hunger.
Over 828 million people – more than one in ten of the world’s population – still go to bed hungry each night. The number of people facing acute food insecurity has reached a record high of 345 million, up from 135 million in 2019. Meanwhile, the cost of delivering food assistance has reached unprecedented levels due to soaring prices of food and fuel. The combination of increased expenses for food and transportation, worsened by the economic consequences of the pandemic, climate change, and the conflict in Ukraine, has made food inaccessible for millions of people, placing significant strain on WFP’s operations.
Together, they can work towards achieving their goal of zero hunger and transform the lives of those who need their help the most. WFP’s current innovation priorities are listed below:
- Preparedness and Prevention: Innovations that improve our risk assessment, contingency planning, and proactive strategies to facilitate prompt response to safeguard lives and resources during crises.
- Effective Relief Assistance: Innovations that enable efficient coordination, targeted assistance, and respect for the dignity and rights of affected communities.
- Supply Chain Resilience: Innovations that strengthen our supply chains’ ability to withstand and recover from disruptions, ensuring continuous functionality.
If you are a start-up…
- Your start-up must be incorporated at the time of application. It can be for profit or not-for-profit.
- Your innovation must at least be at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. Proof-of-concept and initial traction is preferred.
- Your solution should be financially viable.
- Your proposal must show how working with WFP will serve your long-term strategy.
If you are a WFP employee…
- Your team must have evidence of Country Office support and management buy-in.
- You are encouraged to apply, regardless of your contract type or function.
- We accept applications from WFP employees who are collaborating with NGOs, government or private sectors.
- FUNDING: Apply to receive up to USD 100,000 in equity-free funding, with further funding dependent upon progress and measurable achievement of key targets.
- Access to WFP Operations: Successful teams will work with WFP’s global network of partners and field operations across more than 120 countries and territories; Teams may also qualify for further funding and support if they are scaling innovations that have proven their concepts and value for social impact.
- Hands-On Support: You’ll have the chance to work with technical and industry mentors who will provide guidance and accelerate your progress. Selected social innovations will participate in a three to five days long WFP Innovation Bootcamp and Pitch Event.
- Networking: Teams will be able to tap into and leverage our strong network of public, private, and government partners to accelerate implementation.