2023 Safe Sisters Fellowship for Women Human Rights Defenders from Uganda
Deadline: June 26, 2023.
Safe Sisters is a fellowship program that builds the capacity of Women Human Rights Defenders (WHRDs), journalists or media workers to understand and respond to the digital safety challenges that they face in their work and daily life.
This unique opportunity brings together Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) and civil society persons from across Africa for intensive training and networking while learning how to strategically employ digital tools across the spectrum of data management, content development, digital security. The fellowship program is about empowering women and girls working on human rights issues to take control of their space online and information and share with other women. Participants must be willing and able to learn in a fast-paced programme and should have the capacity and commitment to complete the programme.
Applicants ought to:
- Apply individually and must be based in Uganda.
- Their work should mainly be focused on promotion and protection of human rights.
- Have an existing high impact digital project or idea they wish to bring into the workshop and implement after the cycle of safe sisters.
- Have an open mind to learn and experiment with new digital tools and concepts.
- Applicants should be proficient in English (written, spoken and comprehension).
- Participants will be able to take part in a workshop over a period of five days, with DefendDefenders, to ensure that learning is tailored to the needs of the group.
- The participants will define and work on their own project throughout the course of participating in the workshop and receive support and mentorship in realizing their project vision.
- Participants will also become members of our alumni network after they have gone through the whole cycle, including access to mentors, creatives, safe sister signal group, a mailing list, e-learning opportunities, and priority in subsequent events.
- All costs related to enabling participation in the workshop will be covered by DefendDefenders.
- Participants shall be given the opportunity to apply for grants for implementation of their own activities, following the successful completion of the fellowship programme.