2023 ICFJ/Serrapilheira Institute Opportunity for Brazilian Journalists to Investigate Scientific Disinformation (Fully Funded)
Deadline: February 5, 2023.
Through ICFJ’s partnership with Serrapilheira, Brazilian participants who work on issues of disinformation in sciencewill be able to compete for up to five exclusive slots in the Investigathon, an in-person event that will take place in Austin, Texas, in April 2023. Project proposals must be collaborative, involving journalists from two or more media outlets.
At the Investigathon, the selected participants will join 15 professionals from other countries in the Americas and will receive mentoring to improve research, collaboration and distribution strategies for the news content they intend to produce. The Investigathon will take place immediately before the International Symposium on Online Journalism (ISOJ), hosted by the Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas, at the University of Texas. Participants in the Investigathon will be provided airfare, lodging during both the Investigathon and ISOJ and free access to ISOJ.
They are looking for candidates who:
- Live and/or work in one of the countries of the Americas (North, Central and/or South). Note: entries from other regions will not be evaluated.
- Can actively participate and interact at an event held in English. ICFJ may request an interview with some of the candidates to assess this competence.
- Is willing to work in a truly collaborative way and according to a schedule previously defined by the ICFJ with the interested parties.
- Is a journalist, communicator, researcher and/or professional from other areas of expertise who have proven ability to contribute to the production and/or distribution of an investigative report on who/what funds scientific disinformation.
- Have knowledge and experience in the area of disinformation.
Investigathon participants will have the opportunity to publicly pitch their reporting projects for funding, and up to three of the five Brazilians attending the Investigathon will receive grants of up to US $10,000 to produce and publish their projects in the first half of 2023. Expert mentors will provide guidance to the teams throughout the reporting phase.
● Deadline is Feb. 5, 2023: Applications are due by 11:59 PM (Brasília time)
● April 2023: “Investigathon” in Austin, Texas + ISOJ
● June 2023: Reporting projects published