2021 Mongabay Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship
Deadline: May 31, 2021.
Mongabay.org offers an exciting fellowship opportunity. This opportunity primarily involves writing stories that cover conservation technology-related research for our affiliated news site – Mongabay.com. Our fellow will have the opportunity to develop their writing skills and have their news stories be published on our renowned website which boasts over two million global readers every month. This is a part-time, six-month opportunity supported by a special fund created in the memory of Sue Palminteri.
Below is a list of traits we look for when selecting individuals for the fellowship program:
• Excellent communication skills
• Passionate about environmental subjects
• Positive attitude
• Coachable and open to learning
• Strong values – personally and professionally
• Problem-solving skills
• Interest in conservation technology
• Publishing experience in a high-profile news outlet
• Learning about journalistic programs and processes at Mongabay
• Becoming part of a community of passionate and talented writers
• Coaching and support:
• Meet and greet training session via Skype and Q&A with Mongabay staff
• Working with different editors and receiving guidance and feedback
• Developing writing skills
• Developing interviewing skills
• Resume building
• Mongabay letters of reference and personal recommendations
Applicants are required to submit the following documents (have these items prepared before beginning the application process):
- Cover letter
- Indicate why you are interested and what values & skills you can contribute to Mongabay.
- Indicate whether you have previous experience in conservation technology or related fields. If you don’t, please explain what compelled you to apply for this opportunity.
- Submit a writing sample from a journal entry or blog article. If you don’t have a sample you can choose one from the following three articles to complete a writing sample (600 words max.)
4. Optional: submit an additional writing sample of your own.
Please use our application form to send your materials.