2019 ICFJ Velocidad Program for Digital Journalism Latin American
Deadline: July 1, 2019.
Velocidad (which means “Velocity” in Spanish) will work with emerging Latin American digital media outlets that have strong leadership potential and are highly motivated to develop the necessary commercial, technical and editorial strategies to lay the foundations for an independent and sustainable news organization.
Under the direction of the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) and SembraMedia, and with financial support from Luminate, Velocidad seeks to invest more than US$1.5 million between 2019 and 2021 to foster independent journalism in the region.
1. Velocidad will work with emerging Latin American digital media outlets which have strong leadership potential and are highly motivated to develop the necessary commercial, technical, and editorial strategies to lay the foundations for an independent and sustainable organization.
2. They are looking for candidates that have the potential to grow and benefit from the investment, and that are ready to take advantage of the consulting support that will be provided during the acceleration process.
3. Media outlets that have already received funds from the Latin American Alliance for Civic Technology (ALTEC), as long as they have finished their working period for that program, may apply.
4. For-profit or non-profit projects (must be formed as a legal organization with a bank account)
1. The main purpose of this accelerator program is to promote business models so that independent media outlets are able to generate new sources of income and achieve a level of sustainability that will allow them to continue producing journalism that makes an impact on society
2. The selected media outlets will receive an initial investment to strengthen their sustainability. They will also receive strategic and tactical consulting services from more than 30 experts to help them develop action plans, gain access to new technologies, and help them develop more innovative and successful businesses.